Essential Travel Information

We really hope you are looking forward to your holiday and we’d like to thank you for booking with Ski Independence. Before you travel, please take some time to read through the information below and if you have any questions about any aspect of your holiday arrangements, please contact us on 0131 243 8097 or at [email protected].

You will receive your holiday documents in the post 2-3 weeks prior to departure. If you haven’t received your documents by this time, please let us know.

Before You Travel

Passports and Visas


British citizens need a valid 10 year passport to enter France, Switzerland and Italy and do not require a visa.Current guidelines recommend that you should have at least 6 months’ validity left on adult or child passport to travel to most countries in Europe. If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months needed. Regular updates about any changes resulting from the UK leaving the EU will be made on the website, which you might like to consult before travel. If you are not a British citizen or are unsure about what documents you will require, you must contact the appropriate embassy to establish your exact visa requirements.

Advanced Passenger Information (APIS)

All airlines and Eurotunnel adhere to the Advanced Passenger Information System (APIS), which requires the collection of information from every passenger. This information is required to ensure safety and security. If you have booked flights or a Eurotunnel crossing with Ski Independence, it is mandatory to provide this information before you travel. If you haven’t provided your APIS information yet, please contact us as soon as possible.

Travel Insurance

Under no circumstances should you travel without comprehensive winter sports insurance. You and all members of your party must be adequately insured for your ski holiday risks. Due to government regulations, we are unable to recommend a policy to you, but we can introduce you to our broker, MPI Brokers, whose policy meets our booking conditions on insurance. Please call MPI Brokers on 01428 778000 or visit

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

It is strongly recommended that you acquire an EHIC before you travel to Europe; failure to carry one may lead to problems with your insurance cover. The EHIC entitles you to free or reduced cost, state-provided medical treatment while visiting any country in the European Economic Area and Switzerland. Please note the EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance and you should have both when you travel. The easiest way to apply is online at

Holidays With Flights

The names on the booking confirmation and flight documentation must bear the same first name and surname as your passport. Contact us immediately if this is not the case as you could be denied boarding at the airport.

Holidays With Car Hire

It is essential that the lead driver and each additional driver take their full UK photo driving licence and have a valid credit card in their name. Some suppliers also require an online code upon collection of the car. Please ensure that you generate this code (which will be valid for 21 days) at The rules for driving in Europe may change from the 1 January 2021 and you may need an International Driving Permit to drive in some countries. Regular updates about this will be provided at where you can also sign up for email alerts.

Self-Drive Holidays in Europe

An emergency warning triangle and luminous vest are compulsory in France, as is the requirement to carry two breathalyser kits. Snow chains are highly recommended and if there is heavy snowfall, you may not be allowed up the mountain roads without them. You may have to fit snow chains in the dark so it is advisable to carry a torch and shovel as a precaution. For a full updated list of compulsory equipment to take, please see the AA’s website: Please note that radar warning devices are banned on the continent and being found with one in your car, even if switched off, can result in a fine.

Whichever resort you select, you are likely to be travelling on toll roads. If your journey takes you into Switzerland, you will need to buy a ‘Vignette’ which is a one-off form of road tax and allows you to use the motorways. This can be paid locally and costs approximately £35. Alternatively, you can buy this online at

Please ensure you are aware of all relevant rules in relation to driving in the continent before you depart. From the 1st January 2021, you may require some additional documents to drive in the EU. Regular updates will be provided on the website at and you may also like to sign up for email alerts about changes to travel here:

Self-catering Accommodation

In many of our self-catering apartments and chalets the end of stay cleaning is included, but this normally excludes the kitchen area. It is best to check with reception about what is expected to avoid money being deducted from your security deposit. Remember to contact reception the day before departure to arrange when they will check your apartment, return your security deposit and collect the keys.

During Your Stay

If you have any problems during your stay, please call us on +44 131 243 8097 during office hours. Outside office hours and in case of an emergency, we have senior member of staff on duty 24 hours, who can be contacted on +44 7788 711 373.

Covid 19

The Covid 19 pandemic is a fast moving situation and we continue to monitor the situation very closely. We recommend that you stay up-to-date with current travel advice and local measures adopted in relation to Covid 19 in the country you are visiting. You can sign up for email country specific email alerts on the website: