The 2016/17 winter season is officially underway! Here is a short roundup of recent news and images to inspire your next ski holiday. From early resort openings in France and Canada to record snowfalls for the time of year, we can’t wait to get out there and ski! The first of our resort visits for the season start today – our Sales Manager, Gareth, is off to Verbier whilst Ski Specialist, David, is heading out to Colorado.
Whistler Blackcomb Open Ahead of Schedule
It has been nothing short of a brilliant start to winter for British Columbia’s ski resorts, with huge snowfalls early on. Whistler is celebrating its biggest November snow base in 6 years. Watch this video from Whistler’s opening day:
>> Find out more about Making the most of Whistler Blackcomb
Also Open for Winter 2016/17
- Banff and Lake Louise: Lake Louise Ski Resort has been open since Friday 18th November and the famed Delirium Dive at Sunshine Village is now operational too. These superb Alberta ski resorts are off to an incredible start to the season, with yet another storm system passing through this weekend.
- Named Best Ski Resort in the World at the World Ski Awards 2016, Val Thorens has been up and running since the 19th November. Offering brilliant early skiing, Val Thorens has 150cm of snow on the upper slopes and is the place to ski in Europe right now! If this isn’t inspiration enough, find out What’s New in Val Thorens this winter.
- St Moritz: the Corvatsch and Corviglia ski areas opened on the 19th & 26th November respectively. Once again we’re offering complimentary lift passes on selected stays in St Moritz this winter.
- Val d’Isère: open for skiing since Saturday 26th November. The French Alps have had huge amounts of snow higher up and skiers in high altitude resorts like Val d’Isere (155cm on upper slopes) and Tignes (130cm on upper slopes) are reaping the benefits.
- Mammoth, California: hit by a huge snowstorm over Thanksgiving weekend, Mammoth now has “some of the best conditions in the U.S. with 89 cm of new snow, 23 open trails, 6 lifts running, and a base depth of 38–97 cm”.
- Meanwhile, both Winter Park and Steamboat were open in time for Thanksgiving weekend, and the past week has delivered in Colorado with some superb fresh snow in Aspen (Aspen Mountain is now open top to bottom), Vail, Beaver Creek and Breckenridge, with conditions improving all the time!
A few more of our favourite photos of the winter so far:
Last but not least, he’s a fun video from Banff Sunshine Village, which perfectly sums up the excitement caused by fresh snow!
So there you have it! Check back here for more ski resort updates as the winter progresses.
To visit and experience any of our featured ski resorts get in touch with our team of Ski Specialists. You can call them on 0131 243 8097 or request a tailor-made quotation online.