Archive for ‘Skiing’
Best Ski Holidays in 2019
The 2018/19 winter season is upon us, so what better time to let us plan your 2019 ski holiday?
As the UK’s leading tailor-made ski specialist, our experienced team will take the time to fine-tune every element of your ski holiday, from flights and accommodation to ski schools and restaurant reservations. Choose from hand-picked ski destinations around the world and make 2019 your best year on the slopes yet. We’ve carefully chosen an outstanding mix of world-class ski resorts to appeal to British skiers in:
- France: home to some of the most extensive ski areas in the world, it’s no surprise that France is Europe’s number one ski destination.
- Canada: superb skiing, an enviable snow record, staggering scenery and ski resorts with something for everyone.
- The USA: uncrowded slopes, amazing powder snow, first-class lodging and unparalleled customer service, wherever you ski.
- Switzerland: Switzerland exudes charm and our clients love the laid-back yet refined atmosphere of our featured resorts.
- Austria: excellent hospitality, a warm and friendly welcome, lively après-ski and luxurious spa centres.
- Italy: extensive terrain, good snow records, fabulous food & drink and some of the most stunning scenery in Europe
- Japan: Japan’s outstanding success as a ski destination can be summed up in one simple word – snow. You really have to ski it to believe it!
“The booking of our ski holiday for 2019 was handled very efficiently by the Ski Independence staff and we look forward to our winter break. The staff were very friendly, welcoming and obviously knew their ski centres!” Steven, November 2018.
Featured Ski Destinations for 2019
The growing impact of climate change has potential consequences for winter snowsports. But rather than dwell too long on the unthinkable prospect of a snow-free future, we think it’s important to act today.
The Ski Independence team are proud supporters of Protect Our Winters UK, partnering with them to help mobilise the snowsports world in the fight against climate change. After all, it takes a whole community of passionate climate heroes to meet a global challenge of this scale.
We can all take positive action to protect our winters. And supporting ski hotels and resorts that show a commitment to sustainable tourism and eco-friendly practices is a great place to start.
Take a look at some of the eco-friendly resorts and hotels leading the way when it comes to positive climate action:
Vail Resorts’ portfolio of world-class resorts include Vail, Breckenridge & Beaver Creek in Colorado, as well as Canadian big hitter Whistler, have publicly committed to an ambitious set of sustainability goals, otherwise known as their EpicPromise.
The EpicPromise sets its sights on achieving a zero footprint. That means zero net emissions, zero waste to landfill and zero net operating impact to forests and habitat – all by 2030. They’re working towards their goal through a wide range of actions from sponsored employee volunteering to investment in carbon offset programmes, 100% renewable energy and environmental stewardships. Read the rest of this entry »
One Pass | 26 Ski Destinations
A brand new season pass is coming for Winter 2018/19!
**UPDATED 8 March 2018**
Exciting news for fans of skiing in the USA & Canada: the Ikon Pass is a new season pass set to go head-to-head with the Epic Pass next winter, offering skiing in 26 destinations on one lift ticket. Chief Marketing Officer of Alterra Mountain Company, Erik Forsell, said, “The Ikon Pass is a collaboration of like-minded mountain destinations across North America where incredible terrain, unique character and local traditions are celebrated.”
Ikon Pass holders will be able to access resorts including Steamboat, Winter Park, Mammoth Mountain, Tremblant, Squaw Valley, Aspen Snowmass, Jackson Hole and Big Sky, Revelstoke Mountain Resort and Ski Big 3 (Banff Sunshine Village, Lake Louise, Banff Mount Norquay) all featured Ski Independence resorts and among the best ski destinations on the planet. We have two pass types available, with discounted children’s rates on offer before 9th April 2018.
Ikon Season Pass
Adult: £627 / Teen: £502 / Child: £313
- Full season pass with completely unlimited skiing all season in 8 destinations including Steamboat, Winter Park, Copper Mountain Resort, Squaw Valley, Mammoth Mountain and Tremblant plus 7 days skiing in a huge number of other resorts including Jackson Hole, Big Sky, Deer Valley, Revelstoke Mountain Resort and Aspen Snowmass.
- Until the 9th April 2018, children’s passes are better than half price with the purchase of a full adult pass.*
Ikon Base Pass
Adult: £418 / Teen: £334 / Child: £209
- Unlimited access to 8 destinations including Winter Park, Tremblant, Copper Mountain and more, as well as 5 days at destinations including Steamboat, Mammoth Mountain, Jackson Hole, Big Sky, Killington Resort and Revelstoke Mountain Resort, Aspen Snowmass, AltaSnowbird and Ski Big 3 (Banff Sunshine Village, Lake Louise, Mount Norquay).
- Until the 9th April 2018, children’s passes are half price with the purchase of a full adult pass.*
The Ikon Pass In Numbers
- 26 destinations in 9 US states & 4 Canadian Provinces
- 63,709 skiable acres
- 3,304 trails
- 481 lifts
Ikon Pass Destinations
The Ikon Pass will rival the hugely popular Epic Pass in scope and scale for skiing across North America and our team of Ski Specialists can advise you on how to get the best out of your Ikon Pass next winter, whether you’re planning a multi-centre holiday or more than one trip in the season.
- Colorado: Steamboat, Winter Park Resort, Aspen Snowmass, Copper Mountain Resort
- California: Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain, Big Bear Mountain Resort
- Eastern USA: Killington Resort, Sunday River, Sugarloaf, Loon Mountain Resort, Snowshoe, Stratton
- Wyoming: Jackson Hole Mountain Resort
- Montana: Big Sky Resort
- Utah: Deer Valley Resort, Snowbird, Alta Ski Area
- Canada: Tremblant, CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures in British Columbia, Blue Mountain, Ski Big 3 (Banff Sunshine Village, Lake Louise, Banff Mount Norquay), Revelstoke
Speak to a Ski Specialist on 0131 243 8097
*T&Cs apply to all purchases, please get in touch with us for further details.
Saved time on the first day having lift tickets!
James, Flaine, February 2017
Booking the right lift passes, ski & snowboard tuition and rental equipment for your ski holiday can be a daunting prospect. Should I book a local or full area lift pass? Is it better to book full or half day lessons? Where will I be able to pick up my rental equipment?
The fantastic Big White Masters Ski Weeks are tailored specifically towards skiers and boarders aged 50+, looking to meet like-minded snowsports fans. These week-long programmes include top ski coaching over 5 half days, a bit of après-ski, good conversation and plenty of social events and entertainment – surely a winning formula!
Read the rest of this entry »
Most people who ski and/or snowboard have heard of Whistler Blackcomb. Since 1997, when Whistler and Blackcomb mountains joined forces, the resort has attracted well over a million skier visits every season.
What’s the recipe for the perfect ski holiday? Maybe a sprinkle of snow, a big heap of terrain, a soupcon of sunshine, a pinch of stunning scenery, and a dollop of après-ski? Alberta has all the ingredients to make the skiing equivalent of a Michelin star meal!
The Perfect Ski Holiday ingredient #1: Powder
If you have recently returned from a trip to the Three Valleys, you might have spotted groups of children whizzing about the slopes in Val Thorens with wings attached to their backs (yes that does say wings!). This has nothing to do with fancy dress. In your head you might be picturing some sparkly fairy wings, but think more parachute-like cape and you will be closer to reality.
Wingjump, to give it its official name, is the latest innovative teaching aid to be employed by instructors working for Ski Cool in Val Thorens. Aiming to provide a better sense of balance and instil confidence in learners, the Wingjump is ideal for skiers who are trying to improve their parallel turns. The added feeling of lift that the Wingjump provides encourages you to keep your weight forward, making turns that bit easier whilst allowing you to build up some speed at the same time. And what’s more it’s great fun!
Here’s a clip from Ski Cool’s Facebook page to give you a flavour: Read the rest of this entry »
In February 2017 Ski Independence PR Roger Ainger took in a few days skiing the Sud Tyrol’s Dolomiti Superski area, staying in the beautiful resort of San Cassiano in Italy. Read on to find out more about this fabulous, welcoming and gastronomic destination.
In about 30 years of skiing, I had thought that I had tried most ways of getting up the mountain without straining the thigh muscles. From low speed, one person chairs through to high-speed 6 packs, button lifts, rope tows, T-bars, gondolas, cable cars, aerial trams, surface trains, under the mountain trains – I have ridden them all. Now for the first time I have used a two horse power lift. However, I get ahead of myself – more of this later…
I have just returned from a wonderful skiing trip to the Sud Tyrol – that part of Italy that is never entirely sure if it is in Italy or Austria. Everybody speaks both German and Italian plus of course the obligatory English. Many as well speak Ladin, but if you are thinking of adding another language to your skills be aware that Ladin is spoken only in a handful of valleys in this part of the world! Read the rest of this entry »
Hitting the slopes has never been easier with our new lift pass service!
Here at Ski Independence we know how important it is to be able to maximise your time on the slopes. That’s why we are delighted to unveil our new lift pass service which is available in a number of our French resorts. If you pre-book your lift pass(es) in one of the selected resorts, we will send your tickets to you before you travel*, saving you time and hassle in resort. Simply place the hands-free lift pass card in your jacket pocket and you’re ready to go! No queuing at the ticket office – just get on the first ski lift that takes your fancy.
We are offering this service in some of our top resorts this season: Val Thorens, Val d’Isère, Flaine, Samoëns, La Clusaz, Les Gets and La Plagne – and we plan to add this service to a number of additional resorts in winter 2017-18. Read the rest of this entry »