With Banff and Lake Louise in the middle of their best winter in over 80 years we decided it was time that a few of us from the team headed over to Alberta to see what all the fuss was about. It was a quick trip, just 5 nights in Canada, but in that time we skied 3 resorts, visited over 30 hotels and drove over 1300 kilometers along one of the world’s most scenic routes, The Icefields Parkway.
If you’ve never skied there before here are a few of my tips for you:
- At Sunshine you should head up Mount Standish Express and get a photo taken as you straddle the provinces of Alberta and British Colombia, you can’t do that everywhere you know!
- When you ski Lake Louise warm up the legs by taking the World Cup runs (they run the first race every season) before heading out to some of the steepest in bounds terrain in Canada in the legendary Powder Bowls of Lake Louise. This is skiing at its most challenging, not something we could do all day!
- Après-ski beers in The Lodge of 10 Peaks in Lake Louise are a must.
- Lunch at The Sunshine Mountain Lodge was fantastic – but be careful, you may struggle to get back out on the mountain as portions are HUGE.
- Don’t even think of taking the gondola back down if the snow is good when you are skiing Sunshine. The ski out is great fun and the only way to earn those wings and your favourite après-ski tipple too.
We could talk about the skiing all day but we did some really serious work too, remember over 30 hotel visits! You can call and speak to me, Dave or Gareth (although most of our team have also visited the area at some point!) about Banff or Lake Louise and we’ll share our experiences and make sure we find you the right resort and the right property too. If you’ve been before share some of your tips with us…we can share them with our other clients and maybe use them next time we’re over.
For more information on these deals and on holidays to Banff and Lake Louise with Ski Independence, call us on 0131 243 8097 or request an email quote.